Are you stressed out? If you say NO, I say you're lying. I know I was lying when I told my doctor over and over again that I wasn't stressed. Thank goodness she didn't believe me! She asked me every time I came into her office with a new throat infection or to increase my thyroid medicine once again.
She asked me so many times that I finally decided to take a real look at my life and see if she was right. Turns out I was stressed EVERY SINGLE DAY! But I honestly didn't realize it because I had done such a great job of hiding it from myself and others. Everyone I worked with thought I was exceptionally kind and easy going. I was great with difficult customers and misbehaving employees. I was always the person to take charge in an emergency or rally the troops to get the job done despite the odds.
I'm a performer, trained as a classical musician, with years of experience in retail sales. In other words, I project what I SHOULD project... Calm, Understanding, Concern for Others, etc.
And all of this really is true of me under good circumstances. But when I was 5 years into a failing marriage, with a job I hated but spent 60 hours a week working with little sleep, and a group of "friends" who cared nothing about me, I was NOT in good circumstances. Yet I kept acting calm, just like nothing in my life was going wrong. But inside I was angry, hurt, tired, hopeless, confused, and panicking. My doctor was right. I was a total mess!
But what does this have to do with my physical health?
You may roll your eyes when I say MIND + BODY + SPIRIT, but the fact is that these are the components of every human being, and they affect each other without you even realizing it. When you have a cold or headache, don't you feel sad or even depressed? Well, if you feel sad, depressed, or stressed out, those emotions affect your physical health just as much.
Stress is a risk factor in so many diseases, including
- Heart attack
- Acid reflux/ heartburn
- Adrenal Fatigue
- Crohn's Disease/ Ulcerative Colitis
- The list goes on...
So even if you aren't currently experiencing the physical ramifications of stress LOOK OUT! THEY ARE COMING!
So what can you do?
- You can look at your life and see if you can get rid of things that are bringing you stress. Take this seriously because it truly is a serious as a Heart Attack!
- Determine those stressors that are out of your control. Some things you can't change, but you DO HAVE CONTROL over how you react to them. Read this article and do the exercise on Living within your Circle of Concern.
- Take steps to reduce your feelings of stress when you are in the trenches. Aromatherapy is the fastest solution for in-the-moment application. When you breathe in 100% pure, therapeutic grade oils, they enter the brain through the Emotional Center, known as the Limbic System, and get right to work balancing and calming your emotions.
- Find a Long Term Solution. Crystals, in conjunction with essential oils, can be the best long term plan for reducing stress and modifying your response to stress triggers. To learn more about Calming Crystals and Oils, watch my free Workshops on Balancing Emotions using Crystals and Oils, or contact me directly to discuss your unique situation.
- Most Importantly, STOP IGNORING YOUR STRESS! Take the first step to taking control of your situation. Then take the next step, and the next. And soon you will find you feel as calm and energetic as I have become. It is a WONDERFUL feeling, and I can't wait for you to experience it!